Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The sounds of night


We are exploring poetic writing and the effective use of Onomatopoeia.
Onomatopoeia is a word that imitates a sound or action.
Here are some of our poems. Can you spot the onomatopoeia?


The sounds of night


Moonlit sky illuminates the frosted over outdoors,
Misty air sends shivers down my spine as I walk through the wet grass,
Cold windy air squeaks like possums squealing.

Curious about the sound,
A tui  perched up high sends ear piercing sounds through the dark sky,
Cicadas click click like my fingers,
Water running to add to the tune,

I walk back to bed and hear a morepork caw,
More possums out back, sounding like the swing set creaking,
I drift off to sleep and think: what else lies in this world.

By Kalem.

1 comment:

  1. wow sweet poem Kalem-Christian

    ReplyDelete